Our Annual One-Act Play Contest accepts submissions by mail and online from June 25th, 2014 through November 1st, 2014. The winner will be announced before the Festival begins. The contest is judged by University of New Orleans’ Creative Writing Workshop and the Department of Film, Theatre, and Communication Arts.
- Professional Staged Reading at the next Festival
- VIP All-Access Festival pass for two years ($1,000 value)
- Publication in Bayou Magazine
Top Ten Finalists
- Names will appear on website. Finalists will also receive a panel pass ($75 value) to attend the next Festival.
- Plays must not have been previously produced, published, performed, or patronized in any way, including in a formal staged reading.
- “Workshopped” readings are accepted provided that the audience was limited to participants of that workshop.
- Students and faculty of the University of New Orleans FTCA and Creative Writing Workshop are ineligible.
- Plays that won this contest in previous years are ineligible; their authors remain eligible but must submit new work.
- Plays submitted to this contest in previous years that did not win are eligible.
- Plays that have won or placed in any other playwriting contest are ineligible.
- Plays from United States and international playwrights are accepted.
- Simultaneous submissions accepted; please notify the Festival if your play is accepted elsewhere.
- Make sure your manuscript satisfies our Guidelines.
Online Entry ( June 25th, 2014 – November 1st, 2014). Online submissions are preferred and must be in .doc, .docx, .rtf, or PDF formats. We accept entry fees via Discover, MasterCard, and Visa only.
Mail Entry ( June 25th, 2014 – November 1st, 2014). Send your manuscript and check or money order for $25 (made out to the:
Tennessee Williams Literary Festival) to:
One-Act Play Contest Tennessee Williams/New Orleans Literary Festival
938 Lafayette Street, Suite 514
New Orleans, LA 70113
Do not send submissions by certified mail or signature required delivery.